XFX RX 550 4GB Monero Mining with xmr-stak-amd

• 35
  • 1
    Shares

I recently found the XFX RX 550 4GB model for sale for just $109 shipped via Amazon and couldn’t resist the price tag. I was reading people getting around 300 h/s with the cards and that works out to around 2.75 hashrate per dollar spent. Not bad at all, so I ordered two (and just ordered two more that will be here tomorrow) and started playing with xmr-stak-amd to see what I could get out of them. Needless to say, I am pleased. Disclaimer: Below I have linked to Amazon using my affiliate links. It helps fund my hobby and keeps my writing these kind of articles.

Note: At the bottom is a follow up with 6 RX 550s on SimpleMining OS.

A quick rundown of the mining rig:

Here are the settings I am using for xmr-stak-amd for 2 XFX RX 550 4GB. Note: See update at bottom of post for 4 card configuration.

* Number of GPUs that you have in your system. Each GPU will get its own CPU thread.
"gpu_thread_num" : 4,

* GPU configuration. You should play around with intensity and worksize as the fastest settings will vary.
 *      index    - GPU index number usually starts from 0
 *  intensity    - Number of parallel GPU threads (nothing to do with CPU threads)
 *   worksize    - Number of local GPU threads (nothing to do with CPU threads)
 * affine_to_cpu - This will affine the thread to a CPU. This can make a GPU miner play along nicer with a CPU miner.
"gpu_threads_conf" : [
	{ "index" : 0, "intensity" : 512, "worksize" : 8, "affine_to_cpu" : 0 },
	{ "index" : 0, "intensity" : 512, "worksize" : 8, "affine_to_cpu" : 0 },
	{ "index" : 1, "intensity" : 512, "worksize" : 8, "affine_to_cpu" : 1 },
	{ "index" : 1, "intensity" : 512, "worksize" : 8, "affine_to_cpu" : 1 },

],

* Platform index. This will be 0 unless you have different OpenCL platform - eg. AMD and Intel.
"platform_index" : 2,

To break it down a bit, I am starting 4 GPU threads and assigning 2 threads per card, each with an intensity of 512 and worksize of 8. One video card is set to processor core 1 and the other to processor core 2. The Pentium G4400 is a dual core processor with no hyperthreading.

Platform_index is on a case by case basis depending on your hardware, but 2 is what worked for the above configuration.

The results can be seen below:

Averaging 655 h/s over 15 minutes. That works out to exactly 3 h/s per dollar spent on the video cards at a very low power output.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on this. Keep in mind that this is all at stock speeds! I plan to switch to Linux once I reach 8 video cards and have 12 XFX RX 550 running for just under 4 kh/s at a cost of just $1,308 dollars. The cards should retain a decent resell value due to the ram.

Update:  Here is my current results with now 4 RX 550’s at stock speeds:

Combined, all 4 RX 550s are producing 333.75 h/s over 15 minute window. Not bad, for stock speeds.

"gpu_thread_num" : 8,

*      index    - GPU index number usually starts from 0
 *   worksize    - Number of local GPU threads (nothing to do with CPU threads)
"gpu_threads_conf" : [
	{ "index" : 0, "intensity" : 512, "worksize" : 8, "affine_to_cpu" : false },
	{ "index" : 1, "intensity" : 512, "worksize" : 8, "affine_to_cpu" : false },
	{ "index" : 2, "intensity" : 512, "worksize" : 8, "affine_to_cpu" : false },
	{ "index" : 3, "intensity" : 512, "worksize" : 8, "affine_to_cpu" : false },
	{ "index" : 0, "intensity" : 512, "worksize" : 8, "affine_to_cpu" : false },
	{ "index" : 1, "intensity" : 512, "worksize" : 8, "affine_to_cpu" : false },
	{ "index" : 2, "intensity" : 512, "worksize" : 8, "affine_to_cpu" : false },
	{ "index" : 3, "intensity" : 512, "worksize" : 8, "affine_to_cpu" : false },
],

"platform_index" : 1,

Follow Up: I have now reach 6 RX 550s and have made the move to SimpleMining OS so that I can eventually fill the entire Motherboard up with 12 of them. I am using sgminer-gm-5.5.5 with the following settings:

--no-submit-stale --kernel cryptonight -o stratum+tcp://x.227.x.134:3333 -u 46dpA9N1KDE9yERcSGASXPUyA4ga1GrPq5sDXqwwjQL2dAmf5kvgpNQUWdvyT1r55pfwfvuBn2h7YQPhZFYdWtjWUVUTobh -p x --rawintensity 504 -w 8 -g 2

I’ve found it the most stable. Results:

0 0 vote
Article Rating

• 35
  • 1
    Shares
Notify of
guest
35 Comments
Most Voted
Newest Oldest
Inline Feedbacks
B3l3tt3
B3l3tt3
2 years ago

What about power consumption ? What are the numbers at the wall ? For me it is as important as hashrate numbers to decide if I need to give a go to them.

Thanks for sharing.

rtssmkn
rtssmkn
Reply to  B3l3tt3

I, too, would like to know the total power consumption of your current configuration. Thanks for sharing.

Paul J Rinkenberg
Paul J Rinkenberg
Reply to  rtssmkn

rx 550s top out at 55 watts a card.

vegas
vegas
3 years ago

Excellent post! As XMR goes up, the rig looks more and more appealing esp with such a low card price, the entry point seems less risky. And upgrading to better cards as the price on those drop is a no brainer. This will be my next project.

Defyeler
Defyeler
2 years ago

I’m getting 440h/s on a single 2GB card. Bios modded, 2 threads. Stable, down volt to save on wattage. Max can get 530h/s but doubles power. Not worth it at that point.

dtthhoanglong
dtthhoanglong
Reply to  Defyeler

can you share xmrstak config ?

CatOhCat
CatOhCat
2 years ago

Great guide. I notice your hashrate on simplemining OS is a tad lower than that on windows stock speed. Is it unstable to get higher hashrate on simplemining os?

mrxmrminer
mrxmrminer
2 years ago

Did you ever overclock or memstrap these cards? got a couple myself and have had decent results….just wondering if you’ve moved from stock settings.

bibirez
bibirez
Reply to  mrxmrminer

I did a bios mod on my Sapphire RX 550 2Gb with the 1375 strap. I get 383 H/s with default GPU clock and 1950 memory

bibirez
bibirez
Reply to  CC Freak

Until will get approved my share on xmrstak.com i leave this herecomment image

mrxmrminer
mrxmrminer
Reply to  CC Freak

I get better hashes with this setting, not overclocked or strapped.

RX550:
{ “index” : 0, “intensity” : 536, “worksize” : 8, “affine_to_cpu” : 0 }, — 349 H/s, 2 threads
{ “index” : 0, “intensity” : 536, “worksize” : 8, “affine_to_cpu” : 1 },

I will change the straps and OC, and try again…

Thomas Caldwell
2 years ago

How did you get past the openCL issue in Ubuntu? I have tried everything and cant get clinfo to show anything. I have MSI 4gb OC cards.. and 17.50 driver wont compile…

Thomas Caldwell
Reply to  CC Freak

thanks for the confirmation! There are 2 versions of SMOS, do i need the dagfix one?

Thomas Caldwell
Thomas Caldwell
Reply to  CC Freak

14 cards running for 2 weeks at stock speeds. if you have any OC settings it would be helpful. i see the ups and downs

TekTherapy
TekTherapy
Reply to  CC Freak

Hey CCFreak ! I am banging my head since forever cause i can´t figure out how you got the RX550´s to run under SMOS. I tried each and every release from the old RX Versions to the newest RC2. I always get the opencl error when sgminer starts. Did you use some sort of workaround? Thanks Ron

Lech
Lech
Reply to  TekTherapy

Me too 🙁

Chris
Chris
Reply to  CC Freak

I also cannot seem to get around the OpenCL error. It would be awesome if you could share what version of SimpleMiningOS you are using. I’ve also tried a variation of images and miners that SimpleMining offers but none of them seem to work with my RX 550

Ken
Ken
2 years ago

Nice guide! Was wondering if you over locked these in simple mining Os and if yes, which OC setting your recommend?

toufiq
toufiq
2 years ago

Can you recommend me a motherboard which holds many gpu’s just like you??? Please.

Szeak
Szeak
2 years ago

Thank you very much to share this configuration by playing with threads and intensity.
After a few tries my GIGABYTE Rx 550 2GB Gaming OC card with modded bios on 1300MHz GPU and 1880 Mhz Memory runs stable at 470h/s avarage.
THANK YOU.

hoanglong2711
hoanglong2711
Reply to  Szeak

Can you give me download link of modded bios and config of xmr stak amd. Thanks.

dak
dak
Reply to  Szeak

hey guys i just seen this i have a 6 gpu rx550 4gb pulse set up to mine bytecoin getting around 300 a day once more risers get here im putting another 4 on aiming for 500 a day running 10 cards under 700w currently drawing 320w with 6 cards i call it the hybrid haha

hoanglong2711
hoanglong2711
Reply to  dak

how much hash /s you get ?

Roger Fong
2 years ago

I mine Electroneum with 3x RX550, stable 1KH/s total.

William
William
2 years ago

If you were to do this build again, would you change anything or update any components?

I am building a very similar rig and want to know your final thoughts. Thanks you

cisions
2 years ago

Hi, how did you get the RX 550s to work with simplemining OS? no drivers are working for me?

stian
stian
2 years ago

Nice post! But have you tried AMD XMR Miner? https://www.amdxmrminer.com/downloads/

That gave me a boost of around 50 H/s for each RX580 card, and lowered wattage by about 4% at the same time..

monello_wallet
monello_wallet
Reply to  CC Freak

It’s literally just stolen code from stak, don’t bother.